Saturday, January 16, 2010

Random thoughts on staying home

Not much has been happening this week. Ethan has had his 6 month baby well appointment and while waiting on the doctor it dawned on me how little we have been sitting in that room over the past 2 years. I remember the time when visiting the doctor seemed to be a monthly (if not more often) occurence- aaah the effects of daycare. So as I sat there waiting watching Zander and Ethan an incredible feeling of graditute overwhelmed me for having the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. Yes, I say opportunity because stripped down to the core that is what it is, especially in todays economy and world. The opportunity to watch my boys grow and be there for the 1 million questions that present over the course of one day and for those tender moments when I least expect them; a quick yet gentle hug in the middle of fighting bad guys with the pop gun, an adorable "I love you mom" in the middle of a serious converstaion and the amazed expressions on Ethan's face as he learns the world around him. Oh what an opportunity! Of course reality hits every day, when I continue the epic battle of laundry and dishes on so forth (lets face it it will never end) but those are the moments to stop and think about the gift that I have and all of a sudden even those chores just don't seem so bad.
So a quick shout out of encouragement to stay at home moms, we can direct our day with our attidute so let's choose to accept this "job offer" with the highest pride and honor, because it is the best "job" in the world and we were chosen to do it.

Love & Blessings

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting. I totally agree. I still work 20 hours a week as a nurse, but that is because I love being a nurse and need to keep up my skills to increase the opportunity to go back to working more once my children are in school. I feel so grateful that my husband is such a provider. I never had to place my kids in daycare, and I'm not sure I'd be able to! I am so fortunate for family to help out. It does get overwhelming to be at home most of the time, but it's the most rewarding job in the world!
Sarah Jacob