Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bananas, bananas, bananas!!!!!!!!!

Today I came home with a wonderful find- 30lbs of bananas!!!! Yep 30lbs, which come to find out is only half a box :) and I only paid $1.50 for all of them. Quickly do the math and that is only half a penny per pound. I am super excited and hard at work already. These are blemished, bruised and pretty ripe bananas, but those are perfect for my intentions.
I have started with my first batch of banana chips, I sure wish I had a few more trays for my dehydrator. The chips make a wonderful snack for little ones- we like our banana chips a bit chewy so even the little guy can enjoy them. I do not treat my bananas prior to dehydrating so the process to get them on the tray is fairly quick and Zander is a great helper.
Secondly, I took a whole bunch of bananas, peeled them and laid them out on a baking sheet. Those I will freeze and use for smoothies.
Next I will make some banana bread but need to get some eggs in the morning :)
I have also thought on making a double batch of banana waffles and freezing the extras for a quick breakfast when we are on the run.

So, I am very excited to have found this great deal on bananas and will continue to buy them periodically, but I wanted to ask you all for help. What are some of your favorite recipes that call for bananas??? Please share so that I can use up my whole batch and continue to buy these gems at such a great price.

No comments: