Monday, November 8, 2010

Washing cloth diapers

Here is a quick look at how I wash my cloth diapers.

We keep our dirty diapers in a dry pail -a medium sized garbage can lined with a washable pail liner that is waterproof. The wet diapers just go straight in there, the soiled ones get rinsed off and then get placed in the pail.
Every evening -or every other:) I just take the liner with the diapers and place it in the washer. I do take the inserts out of the pocket diapers, but that is my personal preference. I have a frontloading HE washer and since they are so water efficient I place a wet towel in the wash along with the diapers to trick the machine into using a bit more water :)
I decided to use Country Save detergent for my diapers as I am not sure how my homemade detergent might affect the diapers' performance.
First, I run a quick cold wash cycle with 1/2 tbs of detergent or baking soda and no or low spin (about 30 min) then I run a full wash cycle on hot with 1 tbs of detergent and an extra rinse and full spin. Due to the high spin my diapers come out almost dry :)
I always hang dry my covers, line dry in the sun (if there is any) or dry the inserts in the dryer. That's it :) Once everything is dry I stuff my diapers and place them in the diaper hamper -ready for the next change!

No comments: